Our Cross

Our Cross
Take up your cross and follow me. I for one am glad that His cross is empty and that He is risen! But today I am contemplating "my cross" as His disciple. What about that cross? He carried His cross and rose in victory to sit on the right hand of the Father. But we are still here.

My cross. Well on all accounts that just sounds awful! Who wants a cross?
Oh, yes, a beautiful ornamental cross that we can display as a jewelry accessory. But a cross that I need to carry and not even on a trail of my choosing? Wow! Sounds like that might be difficult.
As followers of Christ we each have a cross to bear that is ours in particular.
And even as the man conscripted to help Christ carry His cross to Golgotha we too have help when the load is too much to bear because of the task set before us.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

My cross appears to be the things in life that cross my path that I must walk out to the glory of God and the continued growth I experience as I obey His word in my everyday life.
Deny myself is what I am doing when I refuse to do what I want to do naturally and do instead what I believe God's word tells me to do in any given situation according to His written word in Scripture.
And sometimes the load is bigger than my faith or my natural ability and I stagger as I walk the path of obedience assigned to me.
And yet, the Lord will send me a helper to accomplish the carrying of the required load. Sometimes my helper is another person who helps shoulder the load physically or points my eyes heaven wards. It is easy to become over whelmed with the difficulty of life when your eyes are not lifted upward.
Following Him is what happens as I lay down my will and pick up my cross.
Not your cross
Not His cross
My cross.

~Debbie


Matthew 27:32
And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If God asked you a question, what would it be?

Singing Encouragement-Overcoming Fear

Realigned Focus