A Stranger

I have been granted a fine time of getting to know an assortment of new people. Everyone comes from somewhere but most of the people I have been meeting have moved to my area in the last year from other states.
At times even with a new job, new church,new school , even extracurricular activities it can be hard to make a new friend. Once the day or activity is over you have spent time but not found the one on one fellowship that helps you overcome the newness of a move.
Maybe you have lived in the same place forever. You know most of the locals and you know just where to go when something is needed. Well, because of this bouquet of strangers I have been given the opportunity to extend a smile and a welcome and sometimes a shared meal.
This has been a privilege, but unusual to my everyday way of life for the past couple of years.
As this influx of strangers kept being put in my path, I began to think about it.

Upon contemplation, the scripture in Matthew 25:35 was brought to my attention in an entirely new way. The scripture states, I was a stranger and ye took me in.
Well, to be honest that has always kind of freaked me out. You know taking in the stranger. From a small child I was warned not to pick up hitch-hikers. Do not accept candy from strangers. And the list went on. Stranger Danger!
I repeated these same warnings to my children. So how could I reconcile my fear with the scripture admonition of Jesus Christ, with my parents warnings ringing in my ears?
Well, God meets you where you are at, even if it is out of town!
He showed me that I was being allowed to take in a stranger by offering friendship and fellowship to those who were put in my path.
I am being allowed to participate at my own comfort level..via friendship to fulfill the scripture admonition. I was a stranger and you took me in. I took them in by including them in my circle of care.
Read over the scriptures below and see how God grants you the ability to live out these scriptures.

~Debbie
© 2010 Debbie Turner Chavers


Matthew 25:35
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Matthew 25:36
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If God asked you a question, what would it be?

Singing Encouragement-Overcoming Fear

Realigned Focus