Job Description-Servant

During a brief visit with someone yesterday, I was asked what I do daily with my time.
My job?
This is an uncomfortable question, because there is no general descriptive term for what I consider my job to be, other than Servant.
Some how, with all the hoopla of awards, recognitions, and the "worlds" pat on the back.
The title Servant does not seem so grand.
For what I do on a daily basis is service/serving others.
It is probably what most of us do. Serve. You may have a fancy title attached to your service.
I do not. Unless, wife,mom, friend, cook, landscaper, nurse, etc...is a fancy title.
So I guess my official work title is "Servant".
Or I could adopt the title of "Doer".
Daily I apply myself to those things which need to be done.
The everyday, day in day out needs of a family and home. The large and small things that make life easier for those in my circle of care. Some days this circle shrinks and some days it is popping through my orderly seams!

My job is to serve others in my circle of care by making life easier, more orderly, and prayerfully a better day for those in and around my sphere of influence. And when life slows down, I grab a pen "Writer"or paintbrush "Painter" and share what I am learning with others.

As with any job, I am more successful on some days than others. This servant thing is hard.
Yet, to live life only for one's self is harder still.
Regardless, of our job titles, job one is to serve, just as Christ served.

After, study of God's word, I think Servant, is a pretty grand title.

~Debbie

© 2010 Debbie Turner Chavers

Matthew 20:26-28
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.


Mark 9:35
And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, [the same] shall be last of all, and servant of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If God asked you a question, what would it be?

Singing Encouragement-Overcoming Fear

Realigned Focus