Reflections/snoitcelfeR on James 1:22-24


So the journey with this Art Parable started more than 20 years ago and I am still discovering the meaning of these scriptures. I am posting the initial drawing I sketched in 1996 of Reflections/snoitcelfeR ©1996 Debbie Turner Chavers.
This is a bit of an introduction into how my scripture study, drawing, and painting of Art Parables processes over time, sometimes over years!
*I will post the "finished painting" from this 1996 sketched version at a later date.

As with any endeavor in our walk with God, He has opened my eyes of understanding layer by layer.
Twenty years ago I was living in Hawaii and obviously that translated to my sketch.
When the Lord first showed me this particular image with James 1:22-24 I saw it quite personally.
Yet as with most things in our life, knowledge and application of bible study have changed me as God  has showed me the universal need of all to see Him.
So a lot of my imagery for my art parables are Water-Men to represent everyone, male and female.
At the beginning of my walk with Christ my thoughts were all about me, me, ME! and how His Word created "my life" imagery.
Therefore in the beginning a lot of my sketches..150 or so were personal renditions and then I began to see the bigger picture :-)
It is very clear that we were saved and gifted to share the Good News for all, all, ALL!


Reflections/snoitcelfeR 
© 1996 Debbie Turner Chavers
Initial sketch of James 1:22-24


In the sketch I drew a forest with many mirrors. I drew the female who had dropped her pack but was walking away, back to whence she had come.
An initial look into God's Word will not keep you free of your burdens. You may lay it down initially, but life will attempt to give you more burdens to carry. But Jesus said in..
Matthew 11:28  Come unto me, all Ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

The surfer, he looked into the mirror and left. There are places that people left many years ago but the imagery and the impact of that time is still there. In the mirror of their hearts and minds. Jesus came to set the captive free. If freedom is desired, it has been provided.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I be know even as also I am known.


I wrote a poem about this initial Reflection drawing/painting in 2010 titled "Through a Glass Darkly"

Through a Glass Darkly 

I thought I saw you
As I peered through the glass

I thought I saw you
As the sun appeared
And the dawn broke free

I thought I saw you
But it was a mirror
And it was only me

© 2010 Debbie Turner Chavers


James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your ownselves.
James 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass.
James 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.






** If you click on the art parable painting title you will be redirected to its website for more information about the painting.

 All writing, poetry, posts, art, and photography, copyright © 2016 Debbie Turner Chavers. Protected by US and International copyright laws. All Rights Reserved. Scripture references taken from the King James bible which can be accessed online http://biblegateway.com Click on these links http://artparables.com or http://debbieturnerchavers.com

Popular posts from this blog

If God asked you a question, what would it be?

Singing Encouragement-Overcoming Fear

Realigned Focus